20 East Huron Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
More commonly known as 535 Washington Street
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
At the intersection of Washington, Huron, and Genesee Streets.
Thirteen-story 140,000 sq.ft. Beaux Arts/Classic Revival tower. Clad in white terra cotta. Octagonal plan.
Restored and in use
- 1882 - 'James Adams, A. P. Wright, J. F. Moulton, and H. G. Knowlton formed an organization for the purpose of distributing electric light in the city.' 'The franchise was granted by the Common Council to The Brush Electric Light Company and to The United States Electric Company.' They operated mainly in the First Ward.
- 1886 - 'An organization was formed known as The Thomson-Houston Electric Light Company, which purposed to do electric lighting on the west side.'
- 1892 - 'A combination of interests, by the purchase of stocks and bonds of the respective companies by a common holder, was entered into under the name of The Buffalo General Electric Company.'
- 1912 - Completed construction of the Electric Tower as the local headquarters of the Buffalo General Electric Company. Designed by James A. Johnson.
- 1924 and 1927 - Additions were built on either side of the tower
- 1950 - A merger of the 3 largest electric companies in upstate NY lead to the formation of Niagara Mohawk Power Corporation. Their corporate headquarters were in Syracuse, but their regional headquarters were in the Electric Tower.
history courtesy BuffaloAH.com
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2007 - $28.3 million rehabilitation by Iskalo Development Corporation.
- 2008 - Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
Other Pertinent Facts
- It was built based on utopian reconstructions of the Lighthouse of Alexandria, and also on the Electric Tower at the Pan-American Exhibition.
- It's listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- Building Website
- BuffaloAH - Electric Tower / Niagara Mohawk Building / General Electric Tower
- Wikipedia - Electric Tower
- NYS Parks - Preservation Works in NYS - Electric Tower
■ 1934 Elmwood Avenue
■ Pijan Roost Bar
■ Market Bar
■ Cheektowaga Town Hall
■ St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Home / MusicMall
■ Forks Hotel / Forks Hose Company #2
■ Young & Swartz Inc.
■ 31 Barker Street
■ 1432 Niagara Street
■ 253 Allen Street
■ Imperial Building
■ Seneca Babcock Community Center
■ 171 Brinkman Avenue
■ 153 Brinkman Avenue
■ 217 Brinkman Avenue
■ 197 Brinkman Avenue
■ 201 Brinkman Avenue
■ 205 Brinkman Avenue
■ 209 Brinkman Avenue
■ Fire House Engine No. 20 - E.M. Cotter Fire Boat
■ Corner Bar
■ Chez Ami Restuarant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
Added 2013-01-08 • Last changed 2017-07-26