Langston Hughes Institute
|At Risk||Imminent Risk|
33 High Street, Buffalo NY 14203
- Lat, Long: 42.90014, -78.8682
- SBL Number: 100.79-4-1.2
- Erie County Property Info
- Google Map
- Bing Bird's Eye View
- Ellicott Council District
- Ciminelli Real Estate
- 33 High Street, LLC
- Three story, 28,500 sq.ft brick commercial building on a corner parcel.
- Structurally sound, vacant.
- Built in 1926 as a car dealership.
- Formerly owned by the Langston Hughes Institute, who sold it to BNMC.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2010 - The Langston Hughes Institute sold 33 High Street and adjacent parking lots 963-69 Washington Street to Ciminelli for $1.9 million.
- 2013: Rumors are this building is to be demolished for the new SUNY Buffalo Medical School.
- July 2014 - 'Ciminelli Real Estate officials are talking about creating a 250,000-square-foot building with a $70 million to $75 million price tag...No decision has yet been made on how – or whether – the former Langston Hughes Institute building on the site would be incorporated into the project' Buffalo Rising
- February 2015 - 'Ciminelli Real Estate Corp. is moving forward with development plans for a new Medical Campus project that would knock down the old Langston Hughes Institute building and replace it with a much larger complex.' Buffalo News
- No discussion of renovation or incorporation of the original building has been mentioned
- October 2016 - Ciminelli reveals plans for a new-build on the site, necessitating demolition of the existing structure.
- Jim Fink, Buffalo Business First - "The final design was released three days after a Ciminelli affiliate, 33 High Street Partners LLC, bought the property from an affiliate of the estate of company founder, the late Frank Ciminelli. 33 High Street Partners LLC paid $3 million for the building, buying it from 33 High Street LLC, according to documents filed in the Erie County Clerk’s office."
Other Pertinent Facts
- Buffalo News, July 2014 - Ciminelli planning $75 million building near Conventus Center
- Buffalo Rising, July 2014 - Ciminelli Planning Next Med Campus Development Project
- Buffalo News, February 2015 - New building planned for Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus
- Buffalo Rising, March 2016 - A Call Against the Hughes Building Demolition
- Buffalo Business First, October 2016 - Ciminelli Picks Design, Name for $140 million Medical Campus Project
■ 398 Grant Street
■ Frontier House
■ John D. Smith Gas Fixtures
■ Victoria Theater
■ 347 Fargo Avenue
■ 1934 Elmwood Avenue
■ Pijan Roost Bar
■ Market Bar
■ Cheektowaga Town Hall
■ St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Home / MusicMall
■ Forks Hotel
■ Young & Swartz Inc.
■ 31 Barker Street
■ 1432 Niagara Street
■ 253 Allen Street
■ Imperial Building
■ Seneca Babcock Community Center
■ 171 Brinkman Avenue
■ 153 Brinkman Avenue
■ 217 Brinkman Avenue
■ 197 Brinkman Avenue
■ 201 Brinkman Avenue
■ 205 Brinkman Avenue
■ 209 Brinkman Avenue
■ Fire House Engine No. 20 - E.M. Cotter Fire Boat
■ Corner Bar
■ Chez Ami Restaurant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
Added 2013-01-07 • Last changed 2016-10-14