468 Delaware Avenue
3 story wood framed home with mansard roof
Demolished. Recently replaced with a mixed use commercial building after decades of being a surface parking lot.
- 1860s - House built by James F. Lyon. He and his brother Henry resided there for several years. They became wealthy in land surveying and sales in the young city. Henry helped lay out Delaware Park in the early 1870s.
- Late 1870s - Charles Worthington Evans purchased the home; his great-grandfather was Joseph Ellicott. Charles W. Evans worked as a lawyer and head of the grain elevator business his father had started on the Buffalo waterfront.
- 1921 - Virginia Evans and husband Walter E. Devereux lived at the house until 1921 when they moved to the Lenox, and turned the home into offices and a rooming house.
- 1938 - Virginia died at 75, and her will established a charitable trust with assets of over two million dollars that awards small grants to organizations promoting health, social projects aiding poor people, women and children, and educational programs.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- March 2012 - Demolition of Cloister add-ons to the original carriage house, and announcement of a $3 million mixed-use project with plans for a 20,000 sq.ft. office building and 3 three-story townhouses.
- July 2012 - Plans revised with a new design incorporating office space in the three levels fronting Delaware and nine apartments along Virgina Street. The exterior will be clad in red brick and adobe-colored terra cotta.
- 2013 - Mixed use commercial building known as 'Twain Tower' completed
Other Pertinent Facts
- Part of the Allentown Historic District
- City of Buffalo - Allentown Historic District map
- WNYHeritagePress - Northwest Corner Delaware & Viriginia Part I: 468 and 472 Delaware
- WNYHeritagePress - Northwest Corner Delaware & Viriginia Part II: The Cloister Restaurant
■ 238 Carlton Street
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
Added 2014-03-14 • Last changed 2016-04-18