479 Amherst Street
479 Amherst Street, Buffalo NY 14207
- North Council District
- SBL Number: 88.28-6-1
- Erie County Property Info
- Google Bird's Eye View
- County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
- City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
- Susan Cholewa dba Black Rock 1, LLC
- Former gas station with apartments behind and on second floor.
- Being restored by owner Susan Cholewa.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- Owner Susan Cholewa: "2 years ago today [July 2013], I bought the 1920's gas station at Amherst and Howell! It had no gas, electric, heat or water. There was 3 ft of water in the basement, two holes in the roof( which had allowed water to destroy the flooring on the second and first floors), collapsed ceilings and broken windows. The balcony had severe structural issues and the building was filled with garbage. As of today, there is a new roof, water and electrical service, The basement is dry( some damp spots) the upstairs is framed and the bathrooms plumped. The garbage is gone.The original windows that could be restored are back and the balcony was rebuilt. I'm not a big developer so it takes time and money! There were times that the only way I survived was doing a shot of Blackberry brandy at Casey's Tavern across the street. Tears, sleepless nights, extreme stress but never the idea of quitting. I am honored to be its steward and will continue full steam ahead!"
- Sue Cholewa, 10-20-2017: "Four years and 3 months after purchasing the old gas station, I have my Certificate of Occupancy for the upstairs! Still a lot of finishing touches but I only did it with the help of Mark Peszko, Greg Nikiel, John Torres, Kevin Bowen, Christopher Schell, Arman Afshani Andrew Emerson and many others who were my angels when things got tough! Their encouragement and guidance will never be forgotten! A special thank you to Aaron Wisniewski ❤who put up with my stress and crying when things were not going well. Thank you all for the amazing kind words and encouragement! Go Black Rock and Buffalo!!!!!"
Other Pertinent Facts
Added 2014-10-26 • Last changed 2017-10-20