Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Offermann Stadium

  Lost  


Offermann Stadium
Offermann Stadium
Photo credit: Torke

51 East Ferry Street, Buffalo NY 14209

Owner

  • City of Buffalo - Public School

Physical Description

Current Condition

History

  • Wikipedia: Offermann Stadium was a stadium located in Buffalo, New York. It was primarily used for baseball and was the home of Buffalo Bisons of the International League. The ballpark had a capacity of 14,000 people and opened in 1924. It was located on the block bounded by East Ferry Street (north, third base), Masten Avenue (east, left field), Woodlawn Avenue (south, right field) and Michigan Avenue (west, first base).
  • The site on the corner of East Ferry and Michigan Avenue had been in use as a baseball venue since 1889. Buffalo Baseball Park was constructed on the site in that year, replacing Olympic Park as the Bisons' home ballpark.[1][2] The wooden stands served as the Bisons' home stadium through the 1923 season. For 1924, a new steel-and-concrete structure was built on the site. It was initially called Bison Stadium, and was renamed in memory of owner Frank J. Offermann following his death.
  • Baseball was played at the stadium through the 1960 season. The stadium was demolished and in 1962, Woodlawn Junior High School (eventually renamed Buffalo Traditional School) opened on the site's grounds. In 2008, the site became the new home of the Buffalo Academy for Visual and Performing Arts.

Recent Events and Actions Taken

Other Pertinent Facts

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2018-09-28 • Last changed 2018-10-08