Star Theater / E.W. Edwards
54 West Genesee Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
54-72 West Genesee Street. Now part of a larger 153 Franklin Street parcel.
Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Across from: Statler Hotel, Crosby Building, Y.M.C.A. Building, YMCA Men's Hotel, Victor's Furniture, original YMCA/YWCA Building, and the Pearl St. side of Hens & Kelly
County of Erie per City of Buffalo Property Information
Five story theater building. Two story department store.
Demolished. An entire city block was lost, along with Genesee Street, for the blank facade and dark garage cove of a one story building.
- December 24, 1888 - The Star Theater opens
- 1901 - Peter C. Cornell, M.D. gave up his medical career to own and operate the theater.
- 1919 - Peter Cornell moved to the Majestic Theater across the street, and the Star became a movie house called The Criterion.
- 1926 - The theater was demolished for a new department store, E.W. Edwards & Son. The store was founded in 1832 and came to Buffalo in 1922.
- 1952 - The Edwards company closed
- 1957 - Occupied by the IRS
- 1977 - An entire city block was lost, along with the Genesee Street, with construction of the brutalist convention center.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
Other Pertinent Facts
Added 2014-07-29 • Last changed 2016-10-27