Market Arcade Building
Photo credit: Vintage Buffalo NY, Mike Puma ViewsOfBuffalo, BuffaloAH.com, The Buffalo News
617 Main Street Buffalo, NY 14202
Part of the same parcel as 615 Main Street. Also has a Washington Street address.
Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Sinatra & Co. Realty as of February 2014
BUFFALO URBAN RENEWAL AGENCY per City of Buffalo Property Information
Constructed in the neo-classical beaux arts style. Three levels of shops and offices oversee either side of a covered pedestrian space, protected by a frosted glass skylight. Its exterior has twin monumental facades of arches, columns, ornament, and sculptured bisons.
In use as a commercial building.
The building was designed by architects Green and Wicks, and it was completed in 1892. It served as an indoors market connection between a bustling Main Street and the Chippewa/Washington public market space.
Once the public market was removed in the 1960s and Main Street traffic diminished, the Market Arcade lost tenants and closed in the 1970s. It was restored and re-opened in 1995.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- Renovated in 1995
- August 2013 - City officials said there is enough market interest to return it to private ownership and add to the tax base. It has been listed for sale through the city’s Division of Real Estate.
- February 2014 - The Buffalo News reports that local developer/real estate broker Nick Sinatra is buying the building.
Other Pertinent Facts
- The buildings, one of which has four stories, contain a total of 76,160 square feet of space, of which 53,634 can be leased.
- The city's only historic covered shopping arcade
- Located in the Theater Historic Preservation District
- BuffaloAH - Market Arcade Building
- BuffaloAH - Historic Theatre District
- City of Buffalo Theater District Map
- Fred Schrock - The Market Arcade: Buffalo’s Past Reborn
- Preservation Buffalo Niagara - Market Arcade Location
- Buffalo Rising January 2010- Market Arcade Retail Ready
- Buffalo Rising January 2012 - Market Arcade, Make it a Destination
- Buffalo Business First August 12, 2013 - City Wants To Sell Landmark Building
- Buffalo News August 2013 - City of Buffalo Puts Market Arcade Up For Sale For $1.8 Million
- September 2013 Listing at Hunt Commercial Real Estate
- Buffalo News February 12, 2014 - Sinatra to Buy Market Arcade Building
- Buffalo Rising February 2014 - Big Deal: Sinatra to Purchase Market Arcade Complex
- Buffalo Rising February 2014 - Sinatra Bringing 27 Employees Downtown with Arcade Purchase
- The Buffalo News March 2014 - Market Arcade’s new owner plans to spruce up the retail and arts mall
- Business First, April 2015 - 'The Market' is next up on Nick Sinatra's menu
■ 1934 Elmwood Avenue
■ Pijan Roost Bar
■ Market Bar
■ Cheektowaga Town Hall
■ St. Stephen's Evangelical Lutheran Home / MusicMall
■ Forks Hotel / Forks Hose Company #2
■ Young & Swartz Inc.
■ 31 Barker Street
■ 1432 Niagara Street
■ 253 Allen Street
■ Imperial Building
■ Seneca Babcock Community Center
■ 171 Brinkman Avenue
■ 153 Brinkman Avenue
■ 217 Brinkman Avenue
■ 197 Brinkman Avenue
■ 201 Brinkman Avenue
■ 205 Brinkman Avenue
■ 209 Brinkman Avenue
■ Fire House Engine No. 20 - E.M. Cotter Fire Boat
■ Corner Bar
■ Chez Ami Restuarant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
Added 2013-01-09 • Last changed 2016-10-28