Jacob Dold Building
Photo credit: Mike Puma ViewsOfBuffalo, Daily Public, Mark Paradowski
643 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
Part of the 639 Main Street parcel
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
The Main Street portion of a larger parcel that now includes 639 Main Street, 628 Washington Street, and 634 Washington Street
Adjacent to: Pierce Building, 639 Main Street, and The Andrews Theatre
Across from: Sheas Buffalo Theater
BUFFALO URBAN RENEWAL AGENCY C per propertyviewer
The Market Arcade Cinema Complex consists of three components located at 639 Main Street, 628 Washington Street, and 634 Washington Street. The cinemas include eight auditoriums with 1,842 seats in 33,000 sq.ft. of space. The Main Street side has a theater entrance and a two story commercial building.
- Late 1980s - Severely damaged by fire; almost everything but the facade was destroyed. It was then rebuilt and incorporated into the Market Arcade development.
- 1991 - Bijou Grille opens on the Main Street side. Still open now (2017).
- Dipson Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre was located on Washington Street side
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2014 - Theater shuts down
- September 2014 - Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency (BURA) selected The Benchmark Group over other interested buyers, Rocco Termini and Nick Sinatra, for the 3 building complex. Benchmark is planning a $9 million renovation of the complex and with plans to bring in AMC Theaters to run it.
- February 2016 - "Benchmark Group’s Market Arcade Theater LLC purchased the shuttered complex from the Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency yesterday for $250,000. Benchmark is planning a $9 million renovation. Also included in the sale is the two-story building housing Bijou Grill at 643 Main Street and a commercial building at 628 Washington Street." Buffalo Rising
Other Pertinent Facts
- Located in the Theater Historic Preservation District
- BuffaloAH - Historic Theatre District
- City of Buffalo Theater District Map
- Buffalo Rising Dec 2013 - What’s a Theater District Without Movie Theaters?
- TWC News March 2014 - Concern over future of Market Arcade Theater complex
- Buffalo Rising March 2014 - On the Market: Market Arcade Cinema Complex
- Buffalo News, June 2014 - Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre to shut down Thursday, but a return is in the works
- Buffalo Rising, September 2014 - Benchmark to Acquire Arcade Cinemas…to Remain Cinemas
- Buffalo Rising, February 2016 - Big Deal: Benchmark Buys Arcade Cinema Complex
- Daily Public, May 2017 - Looking Backward: Jacob Dold Building, 643 Main Street
Added 2016-01-22 • Last changed 2017-05-31