D.S. Morgan Building
Photo courtesy Jerry Malloy The Buffalo History Gazette, Mark Paradowski
95 Franklin Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
Now part of a larger 95 Franklin Street parcel
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Next to: Shea's Garden Theatre and Hotel Detroit
On the same block/parcel as: 156 Pearl Street, Underhill Building, Victoria Hotel, 58 West Eagle Street, and Iroquois Gas Building.
Across from: Erie County Savings Bank, 194 Pearl Street, and Kremlin Hall of the Kremlin Block.
County of Erie
12 story office building. The exterior had granite for two floors, gray brick for the next two, and terra cotta for the remainder. The interior featured marble and oak throughout. Each floor had 4,500 square feet of office space and four elevators. The building also featured an observation tower open to the public.
- From 1888 to 1892, the D. S. Morgan Company of Brockport purchased 3 parcels at this location in order to construct a modern office building.
- Designed by Green and Wicks in 1894.
- Construction, completed in 1895, was done by the Chicago firm of George E. Fuller at a cost of $500,000.
- The company namesake, Dayton Samuel Morgan, died in 1890. His sons, George and William continued with the project.
- The building had many owners over the course of its existence, including a former Buffalo mayor. In 1958 it had 140 tenants and was purchased by a group intending to remodel it, but by 1963 it went into foreclosure. Eventually Erie County purchased in 1964 for $426,000 along with the vacant Niagara Hotel next door ($94,500) with plans to demolish both.
- Demolished in 1965 as part of the construction of the Rath Building, which also blocked Niagara Street from connecting to Shelton Square.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
Other Pertinent Facts
- Designed by Green and Wicks. One of the first steel-supported skyscrapers in Buffalo.
- Constructed using two million pounds of steel
■ Chez Ami Restuarant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
Added 2013-01-08 • Last changed 2014-10-07