J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital (Perrysburg)
|At Risk||High Risk||Demolition By Neglect|
Fair View Drive and County Road 58, Perrysburg
- Lat, Long: 42.45311, -79.00225
- SBL Number: 16.001-1-3.1
- County Property Info
- Google Map
- In Cattaraugus County one-half mile south of the Village of Perrysburg
- The main building complex is on the east side of Peck Hill Road (County Road 58, also known as Dayton Road).
- State of New York, per Cattaraugus County property services
- It’s possible it’s owned by the City of Buffalo and leased to the state.
- Former tuberculosis hospital. Described as “A municipal hospital of 500 beds devoted to the various stages of tuberculosis”.
- Multi-building campus, centered on a connected complex consisting of a central administration building, four patient wards in two wings and a dining hall. The large property also contained numerous outbuildings and infrastructure.
- Neo-Classical style similar to buildings at Buffalo's Pan-American Exposition.
- Red brick with hipped red tile roofs.
- Extensive large porches for therapeutic outdoor sleeping, tall columns in the Doric style.
- Noted for a stained glass dome above the dining hall: “[the dome] contains 16 tapered segments, each containing 40 blocks of translucent white and pale gold glass. The segments meet in a large circular center glass panel, which contains the design of a Star of David surrounded by semicircles, with a flower in its center. The edge of the dome is done in angular Celtic-style knotwork.” Buffalo News, October 2016. Despite the prevalence of a legend, there's no evidence this dome came from the Temple of Music or any other building at the Pan-American Exposition.
- In 1909, wealthy department store operator and Buffalo Mayor James Noble Adam decided to build a hospital dedicated to the treatment of tuberculosis. He paid for the land with his own money and commissioned architect John Hopper Coxhead to design the buildings. The hospital complex was built on a hilltop surrounded by 500 acres of forest. The hospital was owned and operated by the City of Buffalo.
- The buildings were completed in 1912.
- The hospital was dedicated to the treatment of tuberculosis until 1960 and then was turned over to the State of New York for use as a developmental disability center. By 1995, the institutional treatment of such disabilities had ended and the complex was abandoned.
- Derived from Asylum Projects website
Recent Events and Actions Taken
Other Pertinent Facts
- Asylum Projects J.N. Adam page
- Article in Historic Paths of Cattaraugus County
- Buffalo News, 2016-10-02 “Despite legend, no evidence Perrysburg hospital dome came from 1901 Pan-Am Expo”
- Nancy Mingus on architect John H. Coxhead
- Web page for book “J.N. Adam Memorial Hospital: Her Inside Voice” written by Char Szabo-Perricelli
- SHPO Report from 1984, 7MB PDF file, contains National Register nomination form
■ Chez Ami Restuarant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
Added 2017-02-23 • Last changed 2017-02-26