Riverside Men's Shop
Art-Deco styled storefront on a corner parcel.
Demolished for a vacant lot.
- A Riverside fixture since 1918, owned by the Ehrenreich family.
- Late 1930s / Early 1940s - Fire destroys original building. Art Deco replacement is constructed.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2005 - The original Riverside Men's Shop closed after Williamsville and Amherst stores were opened.
- September 2010 - Charles Faso purchased the properties from the Plaza Group for $15,000.
- January 2011 - Faso applied for demolition permits to take down 783-89 Tonawanda Street and 190 Ontario Street
- February 2011 - The Buffalo Preservation Board at its meeting last week unanimously voted to "recommend not to demolish" 783 and 789 Tonawanda Street but allowed a rear structure at 190 Ontario Street to come down citing its poor condition.
- May 9, 2011 - All buildings on parcel demolished
- September 2012 - Campaign for Greater Buffalo speaks out about late night demolitions following the loss of an 1800s storefront on Main, Bernstones Cigar Store:
Recent Events courtesy Buffalo Rising
Other Pertinent Facts
- Featured the city's first air-conditioning, first plate-glass doors, and first fluorescent lighting. Forgotten Buffalo
- On the demo application, Faso declared the building or site did not contribute to the history of the city, the building design was not unique or innovative, and the building was not a visual landmark in the neighborhood or city.Buffalo Rising
- Facebook - Forgotten Buffalo - Riverside Men's Shop photos
- Forgotten Buffalo - Riverside Men's Shop
- Buffalo Rising - Wrecking Buffalo - Riverside Men's Shop
- Buffalo Rising - Wrecking Buffalo - Riverside Men's Shop Part 2
- Buffalo Rising - Campaign For Greater Buffalo Speaks About Late Night Demo
■ 238 Carlton Street
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
Added 2013-05-14 • Last changed 2016-05-08