The Crosby Company


Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building


412 William Street, Buffalo, NY 14204


Physical Description

  • Four story brick industrial building on a corner parcel connected to a 3 story brick building.
  • Two additional industrial buildings are also part of the same parcel

Current Condition

  • Appears to be in use and in good shape, but most of the windows are filled in.


  • 1896 - The Crosby Company, founded by William H. Crosby and William H. Hill, is a metal stamping business. The Crosby Company initially manufactured bicycle frames and parts, and later parts for automobiles.
  • 1947 - 'The company had 450 employees and produced, among other things, 500,000 bathroom scales per year.' Daily Public
  • 'The founderís name is memorialized on the side of the William Street building, but also in Crosby Hall (dedicated in 1932) at the South Campus of UB, where he was a trustee and to which he was a significant donor, and in the Crosby Building (built in 1916).' Daily Public

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • May 10, 2016 - Update: The Common Council DENIED local landmark designation for this building.
  • January 23, 2017 - The Buffalo News reports the City's Corporation Counsel has ordered the Common Council "to complete a new review of the applications, including a further public hearing, to provide specific facts that constitute a rational basis for the Common Council's decision to either approve or deny landmark status".
  • March 21, 2017 - The Common Council voted to deny the buildings local landmark status.

Other Pertinent Facts


Newest Pages

Added 2015-03-25 • Last changed 2017-03-21