Flint & Kent Department Store
Photo by WNY Heritage Press, Buffalo Evening News, Joe Sparacio, Forgotten Buffalo, Mark Paradowski.
554 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14202
Part of a parcel now known as 560 Main or 12 Fountain Plaza
Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
BUFFALO SUCCESS LLC per City of Buffalo Property Information
Search NYS Corporation Database for BUFFALO SUCCESS
Ornate four story commercial building
Demolished around 1980. Part of the plaza area for 12 Fountain Plaza.
- 1832 - Dry good store opened by Benjamin Fitch at 288 Main Street, a precursor of Flint & Kent. The same year, the Universalist Church of the Messiah was founded.
- 1866 - The Universalist Church constructed a large church at 554 Main Street
- October 29, 1870 - A massive fire prompts the congregation to rebuild the church as it was, minus its taller steeple
- 1891 - The Universalists move to a new church at North and Mariner Streets. They leased their old building at 554 Main to HC Martin Bicycles.
- 1897 - Upscale department store is named Flint & Kent
- 1897 - Flint & Kent moves flagship store to 554 Main Street, into a new building designed by Buffalo architect Edward Austin Kent.
- 1954 - The company was sold to Charles Jack Hahn, whose father owned Sattler's.
- 1956 - The company was sold to The Sample company.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
Other Pertinent Facts
- Architect Edward Austin Kent was the son of the department store owner. He later died on the Titanic after helping other passengers get to lifeboats.
- Wikipedia - Flint & Kent
- WNY Heritage Press - 554 Main Street Buffalo, Church of the Messiah, Flint & Kent
■ 238 Carlton Street
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
Added 2013-10-24 • Last changed 2014-11-07