Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building

W.T. Grant's Department Store

Photo by Buffalore,, Forgotten Buffalo, Joe Sparacio, Mark Paradowski


544 Main Street, Buffalo NY 14202
Part of a parcel now known as 560 Main or 12 Fountain Plaza

SBL: 111.46-2-6.1

Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Next to: Flint & Kent Department Store
Across from: Gayety Theater, DE Morgan Building and Buffalo Savings Bank


Buffalo Success Inc per City of Buffalo Property Information

Physical Description

Multi-story early Art Moderne retail building on a corner parcel.
A similar design still exists, the Eckhardt Department Store at Broadway and Fillmore.

Current Condition

Demolished. Replaced with a nondescript bank building with no street level interaction at the intersection.


  • 1906 - Grant company founded by William Thomas Grant in Massachusetts
  • W.T. Grant operates out of existing buildings at 544 Main. Liberal Credit Clothing is upstairs.
  • 1939 - Main/Huron store built; designed by Alfred S. Alschuler and Raymond Loewy
  • 1976 - Grant Company goes bankrupt, the second largest bankruptcy in the US at the time
  • 1980 - Art Moderne building on Main demolished
  • 1983 - Site replaced by a non-descript 10 story bank building known as 12 Fountain Plaza

Recent Events and Actions Taken

Other Pertinent Facts

  • The corner store next to the original 3 story Grant's building has been "Palmer" and also "Ernst Besser's Sons" - souvenirs, guide books, toys, post cards, etc


Newest Pages

Added 2013-10-24 • Last changed 2017-01-04