Saint Ann's Church
|At Risk||High Risk||For Sale|
Saint Ann's Church, October 2016
Photos by Christopher Byrd, The Buffalo History Museum, St. Ann's Parish, David Torke
651 Broadway, Buffalo NY 14212
- Google Bird's Eye View
- Ellicott Council District
- SBL: 111.42-6-1.111
- Erie County Property Info
- County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
- City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
- Next to: St. Ann's School, St. Ann's Rectory
- Across from: 639 Broadway and 642 Broadway
Catholic Diocese of Buffalo
Chancery (Bishop's Office)
795 Main Street
Buffalo NY 14203
Phone: (716) 847-5500
Fax: (716) 847-5557
Office of Buildings & Properties
Phone: (716) 847-8750
Fax: (716) 847-8756
- St. Ann's is one of Buffalo's finest examples of neo-gothic architecture.
- It contains exquisite woodcarvings including a 32 foot high hand carved altar. The nave or central aisle is 38 feet wide. The height of the nave is 70 feet. The entire length of the church is 216 feet. The sanctuary is 74 feet wide and 30 feet deep. Seating capacity is 1,600. courtesy BuffaloAH.com
- Bishop Malone has announced plans to demolish the church, despite protest from its parishioners and conflicting repair cost estimates.
- Its windows were covered with dense yellowed fiberglass sheets for protection in the 1970s.
- Built from 1878-1886.
- Detailed history here, from Friends of St. Ann's.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- January 20, 2014 - The Vatican has sided with the parishioners and supports preservatio of the buildings. The decree states the church can't be used for a ďprofaneĒ (non-religious) use and any attempts to court a developer for rehabilitating the site for anything else will not be allowed.
- January 20, 2014 - The Diocese of Buffalo disagrees with the Vatican's decision and will file an appeal with the highest juridical body within the Vatican.
- November 6, 2013 - Buffalo's Common Council approves local landmark status application of St. Ann's
- Mike Puma, August 28, 2013: "The Diocese of Buffalo and Preservation Buffalo Niagara (PBN) have engaged in a collaborative effort to find a reuse for the St. Annís Church Campus. Demolition of the iconic structure has been placed on hold as the two entities work together to find a buyer with an appropriate plan for the rehabilitation and redevelopment of the site. Selling is now officially an option back on the table."
- MEETING called for Wednesday, August 21, 7pm. Location change: The meeting will be held in the hall at SS. Columba & Brigid Church, Eagle & Hickory Streets, 418 N. Division Street., Buffalo.
- August 2013 - The Roman Catholic Diocese announced the building would be demolished - WKBW TV article.
- June 2013 - Parishioners "received their own estimates that suggest the most pressing work to address safety concerns Ė mortar replacement, stone stabilization and other repairs on the two towers Ė could be done for less than $200,000." The Buffalo News
- May 2013 - Structural analysis indicates the building needs $8.2 million - $12.4 million in repairs before the worship space could be available. Bishop Richard J. Malone has yet to decide on future steps to take with the church.
- April 2012 - Diocese suspends activities at St. Ann's Church
- 2012 - A parishioner appeal to the Vatican delayed the closure
- 2011 - Bishop Edward U. Kmiec ordered it closed
- August 2008 - 150 year anniversary
- 2007-2012 - A committee at St. Ann's manages to fight off closure
- 2007 - St. Annís parish was merged with SS. Columba & Brigid. St. Annís Church remained open as a ďtemporary worship siteĒ
Other Pertinent Facts
- The church school was once the largest private school in the country with over 2,000 students Buffalo Rising
- The 35 stained glass windows were created by German glass makers in Munich and were shipped to the US in 1889
- Friends of St. Ann's homepage
- St. Ann's Facebook page
- BuffaloAH - St. Ann's Roman Catholic Church
- BuffaloVR - "Virtual Tour" of St. Ann's
- Buffalo Place - Saint Ann's
- Buffalo Rising, December 2007 - Saint Ann's Church: 150 Years and Then What?
- Buffalo Rising, April 2012 - Diocese Suspends Activities at St. Ann's
- Views of Buffalo, May 2012 - Bishop Kmiec Closes St. Ann's Without a Long Term Plan
- Buffalo News, May 2, 2013- St. Annís future seems bleak
- Fred Schrock, May 11, 2013 - 'St. Ann, Pray for Us' - history and photos
- Buffalo News, June 23, 2013 - Faithful stick with St. Ann Church
- WKBW, August 18, 2013 - St. Ann Church To Be Razed
- Buffalo News, August 18, 2013 - Bishop announces plans to raze beloved St. Ann Church on Broadway
- Views of Buffalo, August 19, 2013 - Diocese of Buffalo Plans to Demolish St. Ann's Church Later This Year Citing Expensive Structural Concerns
- Broadway Fillmore Alive, August 19, 2013 - Saint Annís Must be Saved not Razed
- Buffalo Rising, August 20, 2013 - The Bells of St. Ann and Oh, These Other Churches Too
- Buffalo News, August 21, 2013 - Buffalo Advocates Unite In Hopes Of Saving St. Ann Church
- Views of Buffalo, August 28, 2013 - St. Ann's Demolition On Hold
- Buffalo News, August 28, 2013 - Diocese Ends Worship Role for St. Ann Church, Amid Hope of Redevelopment
- Buffalo News September 7, 2013 - No Need To Rush Demolition Of St. Ann's
- fixBuffalo, September 16, 2013 - St. Ann's: Poster Child of the Effects of Sprawl
- Buffalo Rising, November 2013 - Why Saving St. Annís Church and Shrine Matters
- Artvoice, November 2013 - Saving St. Ann's
- Views of Buffalo, January 2014 - Decree from Vatican on St. Ann's Church
- Daily Public, May 2015 - Looking Backward: St. Annís Church and Shrine
Added 2013-08-19 • Last changed 2016-11-26