Larkin @ Exchange Building
Ten story, 600,000 sq.ft. steel reinforced concrete warehouse with six elevators. Designed in the International, Daylight Factory style.
Fully restored, converted to office space, and 100% leased.
- Designed in 1911 by Lockwood and Greene of Boston, and built by the Aberthaw Construction Co. in just over six months for the Larkin Soap Company.
- The Larkin Company owned the building until 1967 when it was sold to Graphic Controls.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2002 - Howard Zemsky, Joe Petrella, Bill Smith, and Doug Swift purchased the building from Graphic Controls for $1 million.
- 2002 - $40 million renovation began
Other Pertinent Facts
- Also known as the Larkin R/S/T Building.
- Located within Buffalo's oldest manufacturing district, the Hydraulics District.
- Sept 2009 - A nomination for State and Local Register of Historic Places was submitted for The Hydraulics on a Multiple Property Documentation Form, laying the groundwork for property owners to designate other buildings in the neighborhood as historic.
- Larkin @ Exchange homepage
- Wikipedia - Larkin Terminal Warehouse
- BuffaloAH - Larkin Terminal Warehouse
- Hydraulics Press - Larkin Terminal Warehouse Reborn
- BuffaloAH - State and National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form - HYDRAULICS/LARKIN NEIGHBORHOOD
- Daily Public, November 2014 - Heritage Insights: Larkin Terminal Warehouse
■ 238 Carlton Street
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
■ 15 Auchinvole Avenue
Added 2013-01-09 • Last changed 2014-11-21