Trico Plant #1
|At Risk||Watch List|
791 Washington Street Buffalo, NY 14203
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
May also be known as 817 Washington. Located at Goodell Street between Washington and Ellicott Streets
Buffalo Brownfield Restoration Corporation, a subsidiary of the Buffalo Urban Development Corporation (BUDC)
BUDC is the City of Buffalo’s development agency
Search NYS Corporation Database for Buffalo Brownfield Restoration Corporation
600,000 sq.ft. six story, multi-building 'daylight' factory complex with reinforced concrete piers, large gridded windows, and red brick spandrels
- 1917 - John Oishei founds the Trico Products Corporation, with offices in the Sidway building and manufacturing at 2665 Main.
- 1920 - Operations move to 624 Ellicott, the former cold storage facility for the Christian Weyand Brewery. Constructed in 1890, this becomes known as Building 1 of the complex
- 1924 - Building 2 constructed at 623–636 Ellicott
- 1928 - Building 3 constructed at at 638–644 Ellicott
- Over various years, all three structures received additions bringing them to 6 stories.
- Three other structures—known as Buildings 4, 5, and 6—were demolished over the course of the complex’s early evolution.
- 1936 - Building 7 constructed at 807–817 Washington Street
- 1937 - Building 8 constructed at 787-805 Washington
- 1946 - Building 10 at 670–672 Ellicott Street, built in 1923, was purchased
- 1954 - Building 9 constructed at 648–668 Ellicott Street
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 1999 - Trico moved its manufacturing operations to Mexico.
- 2000 - Erie, PA developer Stephen McGarvey purchased Trico and the M Wile And Company Factory Building. McGarvey was able to complete redevelopment work on the M. Wile complex.
- 2000 - Trico added to the State Historic Registry
- 2001 - Trico added to the National Historic Registry
- 2001 - Roof membrane removed during renovations before McGarvey ran into funding issues.
- 2005 - McGarvey dies at age 36.
- 2006 - The development company owned by McGarvey's estate files for bankruptcy.
- 2007 - The UB Foundation and BNMC purchase Trico at auction and transfer title to the BBRC, while retaining development rights.
- March 2012 - Despite lacking ownership, BNMC executive director Matt Enstice offers to sell the Trico building for $1 to any developer with a feasible re-use plan. Rocco Termini accepts the offer, at which point it is rescinded.
- March 8, 2012 - Preservation Board votes unanimously for local landmark designation.
- April 24, 2012 - Public hearing is held in Council Chambers over landmark designation. Per the City’s Preservation Ordinance, the Legislation Committee has 30 days to act from the date of the public hearing, yet no action was taken for the rest of 2012.
- Spring 2013 - Preservation Board again votes unanimously for local landmark designation. Hundreds of signatures from the surrounding community are submitted to the Council in support of landmark designation. The building meets 6 of the 9 criteria for designation when only 1 is required for inclusion. It has been over a decade since the building was added to the state and national historic registers. Yet the Council votes to a 4-4 tie with one absentee, causing the process to stall again.
- August 2013 - Preservation Board member Terry Robinson filed an Article 78 proceeding against the Buffalo Common Council because of its failure to landmark the Trico Plant No. 1. The suit cites the large amount of public money used to buy Trico, as well as the arbitrary nature of the failure to landmark the property and undermine the Preservation Board and City Charter in the process.
- “The April 30, 2013 determination totally undermined the credibility and authority of the Buffalo Preservation Board and its role as the public body tasked with the review, establishment, and monitoring of landmark sites in the City of Buffalo”
- September 2013 - The Buffalo News reports that local developer Peter Krog may be requesting to be designated the preferred developer of the property. Krog may have plans to build an extended stay hotel at the location.
- October 2013 - Per the Buffalo News, the Krog Corporation “envisions a capital investment of greater than $10 million to purchase, remediate, and redevelop the site for commercial hotel/office/retail and/or residential apartments/condominiums.”
- February 2014 - $50 million renovation plan announced by Krog Corp
- February 2015 - Krog Corp.’s adaptive reuse plans are on hold, pending an approval from the National Park Service, due to its use of historic tax credits. A response is expected this month.
- April 2015 - Krog Corp. has received approval of both brownfield tax credits and historic tax credits, key financial incentives for the project.
Other Pertinent Facts
- John Oishei invented the modern windshield wiper in Buffalo and built the Trico Corporation into the world's largest manufacturer of wipers.
- 2001 - Trico Plant No. 1 was listed on the National Register of Historic Places
- The TriMainCenter is another Trico factory building, in its case a prime example of adaptive reuse of a large historic structure.
- Buffalo News, 5/8/2014: "$50 million redevelopment plan announced for Trico building in Buffalo"
- Save Trico Website
- Wikipedia - Trico Plant No. 1
- Punaro, March 2012 – Trico: Dissecting the Anti-Preservation Stance
- Buffalo Spree, March 2012 - Preservation Ready: Trico Plant #1
- fixBuffalo, March 2012 - - Wiping Away Trico: Part I
- SaveTrico, January 2013 - Community information meeting and fund raiser
- Buffalo Rising, March 2012 - Trico Building: BNMC and Preservation Buffalo Niagara
- Buffalo Rising, March 2012 - BNMC Commits to Continue Discussions on Trico
- Buffalo Rising, April 2012 - Trico Plant #1 @ a Crossroads
- Buffalo Rising, September 2012 - Innovate Trico: Thinking Outside the Box
- Buffalo Rising, November 2012 - Trico Reuse Feasibility Study Released
- Buffalo Rising, January 2013 - PBN: What’s the Delay with Trico Landmarking?
- Buffalo Rising, March 2013 - Common Council to Vote on Local Landmark Designation for Trico Next Week
- Buffalo Rising, April 2013 - Preservation Buffalo Niagara Proposes to Further Assist with Trico Reuse Planning
- Buffalo Rising, April 2013 - TRICO Press Conference Today at Noon – Be There!
- Buffalo Rising, August 2013 - Are Stars Aligning for Trico Reuse?
- Artvoice, August 2013 - Common Council Sued Over Trico Building
- Buffalo News, September 2013 - Developer seeks rights to former Trico factory
- Buffalo News, October 2013 - Developer readies mixed-use plan for Trico complex, including hotel
- WIVB, February 2014 - Trico Building set for $50 million makeover
- Buffalo News, February 2014 - $50 million redevelopment plan announced for Trico building in Buffalo
- Buffalo News, February 2014 - Saving Trico from wrecker is a win-win
- Buffalo News, February 2015 - Krog still awaiting OK for Trico reuse plan
- Buffalo Business First, April 2015 - Key Hurdles Cleared for $54 million Trico Project
■ 114 Masten Avenue
■ 112 Masten Avenue
■ 205 Dodge Street
■ 203 Chester Street
■ 229 Orange Street
■ 35 Peach Street
■ 201 Dodge Street
■ 93 Orange Street
■ Owner Julian Russotto
■ 48 Laurel Street
■ 71 Orange Street
■ Moffat's Brewery / Fox & Williams Brewery
■ 169 West Utica Street
■ William Hamlin House
■ 102 Florida Street
■ 100 Florida Street
■ 96 Florida Street
■ 90 Florida Street
■ 88 Florida Street
■ 84 Florida Street
■ 94 Florida Street
■ 61 Imson Street
■ Houses at Knox Farm State Park
■ 233 Dearborn Street
■ Lucy Curley Building
■ 1440 Jefferson Avenue
■ 1567 Genesee Street
■ 954 Sycamore Street
■ 895 Sycamore Street
■ 893 Sycamore Street
■ 114 Masten Avenue ■ 112 Masten Avenue ■ 205 Dodge Street ■ 203 Chester Street ■ 229 Orange Street ■ 35 Peach Street ■ 201 Dodge Street ■ 93 Orange Street ■ Owner Julian Russotto ■ 48 Laurel Street ■ 71 Orange Street ■ Moffat's Brewery / Fox & Williams Brewery ■ 169 West Utica Street ■ William Hamlin House ■ 102 Florida Street ■ 100 Florida Street ■ 96 Florida Street ■ 90 Florida Street ■ 88 Florida Street ■ 84 Florida Street ■ 94 Florida Street ■ 61 Imson Street ■ Houses at Knox Farm State Park ■ 233 Dearborn Street ■ Lucy Curley Building ■ 1440 Jefferson Avenue ■ 1567 Genesee Street ■ 954 Sycamore Street ■ 895 Sycamore Street ■ 893 Sycamore Street
Added 2013-01-02 • Last changed 2015-04-17