Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Claremont Shops / Siegel's

  At Risk      Watch List  


http://preservationready.org/Buildings/475MainStreet?action=download&upname=475Main.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/475MainStreet?action=download&upname=475MainBefore.jpg
http://u1.ipernity.com/43/99/97/33279997.520fd1b9.640.jpg
2014 photo: Mark Paradowski

Location

475 Main Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
Google Bird's Eye View
Ellicott Council District
SBL: 111.13-6-4.311
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
Now part of the 465 Main Street parcel

Next to: Fifth Avenue Linens and Hengerer's Department Store
Across from: 472 Main Street

Owner

UPWOOD REALTY ASSOCIATES LLC per City of Buffalo Property Information
Search NYS Corporation Database for UPWOOD REALTY ASSOCIATES

Physical Description

Three story commercial building

Current Condition

History

  • Claremont Shops
  • Siegel's
  • From Ranjit Sandhu, via BuffaloAH: 475 Main Street was once Steve Brodie's Saloon. "475 Main Street came to play a significant role (or actually, a significant footnote) in motion-picture history, for it was here that Mitchell and Moe Mark hired Fred A. Baynes to remodel the old saloon into the Edisonia Penny Arcade. This was no later than 1902. The Mark brothers, now forgotten, were pioneers of a sort, and by sheer happenstance brought together Adolph Zukor, Marcus Loew, and a number of others who would later come to found the Hollywood studio empires. By 1906 the Mark brothers had converted the Edisonia to a movie house and changed its name to the Automatic Vaudeville Company. And then on Saturday, 16 May 1908 the Marks' former business partner Rudolph Wagner re-opened it as the Theatre Comique, a ten-cent cinema."

Recent Events and Actions Taken

Other Pertinent Facts

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2013-10-22 • Last changed 2014-06-13