634 Washington Street
Photo credit: Mike Puma, ViewsOfBuffalo, Mark Paradowski, and Buffalo Rising
BUFFALO URBAN RENEWAL AGENCY C per propertyviewer
The Market Arcade Cinema Complex consists of three components located at 639 Main Street, 628 Washington Street, and 634 Washington Street. The cinemas include eight auditoriums with 1,842 seats in 33,000 sq.ft. of space. The Main Street side has a theater entrance and a two story commercial building.
- 1987 - General Cinema Theaters operated the eight-screen complex
- 1998 - General Cinema did not renew its lease and left
- 1999 - Short sting with the Angelika Film Center
- 2000 - Dipson Theatres was brought on
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- Part of the Dipson Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre along with 628 Washington Street
- Dec 2013 - Concern has risen that the movie theater could be reduced to older and independent movies or close due to the impending cost of a switch to digital projectors and other needed improvements
- September 2014 - Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency (BURA) selected The Benchmark Group over other interested buyers, Rocco Termini and Nick Sinatra, for the 3 building complex. Benchmark is planning a $9 million renovation of the complex and will be bringing in AMC Theaters to run it.
- February 2016 - "Benchmark Group’s Market Arcade Theater LLC purchased the shuttered complex from the Buffalo Urban Renewal Agency yesterday for $250,000. Benchmark is planning a $9 million renovation. Also included in the sale is the two-story building housing Bijou Grill at 643 Main Street and a commercial building at 628 Washington Street." Buffalo Rising
Other Pertinent Facts
- Located in the Theater Historic Preservation District
- BuffaloAH - Historic Theatre District
- City of Buffalo Theater District Map
- Buffalo Rising Dec 2013 - What’s a Theater District Without Movie Theaters?
- TWC News March 2014 - Concern over future of Market Arcade Theater complex
- Buffalo Rising March 2014 - On the Market: Market Arcade Cinema Complex
- Buffalo News, June 2014 - Market Arcade Film & Arts Centre to shut down Thursday, but a return is in the works
- Buffalo Rising, September 2014 - Benchmark to Acquire Arcade Cinemas…to Remain Cinemas
- Buffalo Rising, February 2016 - Big Deal: Benchmark Buys Arcade Cinema Complex
Added 2013-08-30 • Last changed 2016-10-14