King Center Charter School [Formerly St. Mary of Sorrows RC Church]
City of Buffalo (leased to King Urban Life Center on a 77-year lease).
Rhenish Romanesque Revival style, stone construction.
Restored, in use as King Center Charter School.
- Construction began in 1886 by architect Adolphus Druiding and was completed and dedicated in 1901.
- The congregation was formed after large numbers of German families began to settle in the Filmore and Genesee areas. The closest Roman Catholic Churches around were St. Louis on Main Street and St. Ann's on Broadway and were too far for these families to travel.
- In early 1872 Rev. William Grundlach secured the present site for construction of the building.
- The congregation outgrew the initial 1872 building and added onto it due to an increased number of parishioners. The congregation eventually grew too big for this expanded building as well and began construction on the present-day structure in 1886.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 1985 - The church closed due to declining membership.
- 1986 - The building faced demolition but was listed as a local landmark.
- The church was renovated and transformed into the King Urban Life Center.
- It was then transformed into King Center Charter Charter School shortly thereafter with an enrollment of 179 students.
Other Pertinent Facts
- BuffaloAH.com - St. Mary of Sorrows
- Wikipedia - Saint Mary of Sorrows Roman Catholic Church
- Buffalo Rising Oct 2013 - King Urban Life Center: Thankfully Not Torn Down
■ Sacred Heart School
■ Sacred Heart Convent
■ Sacred Heart Rectory
■ Electric City Box Company
■ 2074 Seneca Street
■ 410 Main Street
■ 614 Walden Avenue
■ 616 Walden Avenue
■ 618 Walden Avenue
■ 700 Walden Avenue
■ Martucci Pizzeria Building
■ S. Coplon and Son - Paints, Oils, and Glass
■ 1736-1748 Hertel Avenue
■ St. Stephen's Hall
■ St. Joseph's Old Cathedral
■ Henry Street
■ 23 West Avenue
■ 370 Amherst Street
■ 393 Hampshire Street
■ 56 Wood Avenue
■ 980 Ellicott Street
■ 921 East Delavan Avenue
■ 39 Milnor Street
■ 1367 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1370 Fillmore Avenue
■ 1360 Niagara Street National Register Nomination
■ Fire House Engine No. 7 Chemical No. 1
■ 101 Depew Avenue
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
■ L. & I. J. White Co.
Added 2013-10-02 • Last changed 2016-11-26