King Center Charter School [Formerly St. Mary of Sorrows RC Church]
City of Buffalo (leased to King Urban Life Center on a 77-year lease).
Rhenish Romanesque Revival style, stone construction.
Restored, in use as King Center Charter School.
- Construction began in 1886 by architect Adolphus Druiding and was completed and dedicated in 1901.
- The congregation was formed after large numbers of German families began to settle in the Filmore and Genesee areas. The closest Roman Catholic Churches around were St. Louis on Main Street and St. Ann's on Broadway and were too far for these families to travel.
- In early 1872 Rev. William Grundlach secured the present site for construction of the building.
- The congregation outgrew the initial 1872 building and added onto it due to an increased number of parishioners. The congregation eventually grew too big for this expanded building as well and began construction on the present-day structure in 1886.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 1985 - The church closed due to declining membership.
- 1986 - The building faced demolition but was listed as a local landmark.
- The church was renovated and transformed into the King Urban Life Center.
- It was then transformed into King Center Charter Charter School shortly thereafter with an enrollment of 179 students.
Other Pertinent Facts
- BuffaloAH.com - St. Mary of Sorrows
- Wikipedia - Saint Mary of Sorrows Roman Catholic Church
- Buffalo Rising Oct 2013 - King Urban Life Center: Thankfully Not Torn Down
■ Chez Ami Restuarant
■ Knapp Building
■ 334 Fillmore Avenue
■ 326 Fillmore Avenue
■ 69 Whitney Place
■ 925 Elmwood Avenue
■ Fitch Creche
■ Edmiston's Academy of Business
■ 911 West Delavan Avenue
■ 471 Delaware Avenue
■ 950 Fillmore Avenue
■ 451 East Utica Street
■ Welch Foods Building, Westfield
■ 2224 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2223 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2219 Fillmore Avenue
■ 2221 Fillmore Avenue
■ 146 Jewett Avenue
■ 155 Grote Street
■ Locust Street Art
■ Schenck House
■ 44 East Eagle Street
■ 531 West Ferry Street
■ 1820 Elmwood Avenue
■ 123 West Tupper Street
■ American Buffalo Robe Company / Marcon Erectors
■ Smither and Thurstone Building
■ 157 Philadelphia Street
■ 177 Herkimer Street
■ 289 Northland Avenue
Added 2013-10-02 • Last changed 2016-11-26