Share This Page On Social Media

Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

Nominate A Building


Ulrich's Tavern

  Saved  


http://preservationready.org/Buildings/674EllicottStreet-Draft?action=download&upname=674Ellicott1900.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/674EllicottStreet?action=download&upname=674Ellicott1924.jpg
http://m3.i.pbase.com/u44/kjosker/upload/33705163.Ulrich.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/06/Ulrichs_tavern.jpg/800px-Ulrichs_tavern.jpg
http://preservationready.org/Buildings/674EllicottStreet?action=download&upname=Ulrichs2014.jpg
1900, 1924, 2004, 2013, 2014. Photo credit: Ulrich's Tavern, Karl Josker, Wikipedia, Step Out Buffalo

Location

674 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
SBL: 111.23-8-1
Ellicott Council District
Google Bird's Eye View
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Adjacent to: Trico Plant #1 and Phoenix Brewery

Owner

Tom Eoannou as of Feb 2014
Formerly 674 ELLICOTT STREET INC per City of Buffalo Property Information
NYS Corporation and Business Entity Database

Physical Description

Two story brick building with commercial storefront, on a corner parcel

Current Condition

In good condition and in use, with well designed addition added to the corner portion.

History

  • 1868 - Fredrick Schrerier, a young German immigrant, opened a grocery-saloon
  • 1883 - The grocery part of the operation would be dropped
    • Became a "tied house" owned by 2 different breweries until 1910 - Christian Weyand Breweryand the Ziegele Brewing Company
  • 1880s-1919 - George Fromholtz ran a barber shop win what is now the beer storeroom
  • 1896 - New York State Raines Law prohibited saloons from serving drinks on Sunday, but allowed hotels with 10+ rooms to do so. The upstairs portion of the building was converted into a hotel.
  • 1906 - A 30-year-old man named Michael Ulrich took over the saloon
  • 1910 - Michael Ulrich bought the saloon from the Ziegele Brewery, renaming it Michael Ulrich's Sample Room
  • 1920-1933 - Prohibition. The downstairs became a delicatessen and restaurant. The barbershop and upstairs hotel were closed and the second floor became a private speakeasy
  • 1946 - Michael Ulrich sells the bar to its first non-German owner, French born William Levea, who ran the bar for 3 years.
  • 1949 - Nichlos Riesz purchased and ran the bar for 5 years.
  • 1954 - Jim Daley and his wife Erika took over the business
  • 1970 - The City took the building through eminent domain as part of an urban renewal program. The Daleys stayed open and paid the City rent while they fought it.
  • 1982 - The Daleys won a 12 year court fight to keep the bar standing as an urban renewal program swept through, leveling much of the neighborhood
  • 2000 - The Daley's son Jim Jr. took over the bar

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • August 2012 - The bar is briefly closed due to back taxes and Jim Daley Jr. files for bankruptcy
  • October 2013 - The bar is closed again after failing to keep up with payments under its bankruptcy plan
  • February 2014 - Tom Eoannou purchased the building and Salvatore G. Buscagli becomes proprietor of soon to be re-opened "Ulrich's 1868 Tavern"
  • June 2014 - Ulrich's re-opens

Other Pertinent Facts

  • Buffalo's oldest documented tavern

Links



Newest Pages


Added 2014-02-19 • Last changed 2014-07-01