Parkside Candy Shop (at Oakwood)
|At Risk||Watch List|
Mercedes M. Trzcinski and Barbara A. Helwig
Two story brick building on a corner parcel with first floor storefront.
Unused, appears secure.
- Kaiser family opens the first Parkside Candy shop at this location around 1927
- A few years later, Parkside Candy Company also built a new ice cream parlour and candy-making plant at Main and Winspear
- In 1983, the film "The Natural" starring Robert Redfordwas filmed in Buffalo. The production staff had been searching for a location for the summertime scenes which would authentically recapture the time and spirit of the 1930's, and this was one of the locations chosen
- Location closes in the early 1990s and the historic interior was removed.
- Through the '90s and '00s, the building has housed offices and a daycare center. The "neon" sign was removed and its location is unknown.
- In 2007, it was proposed that the City of Buffalo's film office locate here.
Recent Events and Actions Taken
Other Pertinent Facts
- Forgotten Buffalo - Parkside Candies
- Forgotten Buffalo - The Natural Tour
- Waymarking - Parkside Candy, The Natural
- City of Buffalo - Parkside Candy Watercolor, 1990
Added 2013-06-25 • Last changed 2017-01-27