Our Lady of Lourdes Rectory and School
|Lost||Demolition By Neglect|
School demolished, 7/17/2014
Rectory demolished, 7/2/2014
Rectory is red brick building on left, part of the school is on the right
Photo credit: David Torke, FixBuffalo; Buffalo Rising; George Apfel; Christine Slocum
1091 Main Street, Buffalo NY 14209
Also known as 1107 Main Street
Ellicott Council District
SBL Number: 100.71-2-49.1
Erie County Property Info
Google Bird's Eye View
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer
9274 Group Inc., Ellicott Development. See below for Ellicott Development property listing.
Two story brick rectory and three story brick school total just under 30,000 sq.ft. on a .63 acre lot
- July 2, 2014 - Rectory demolished.
- July 17, 2014 - School demolished.
- Church remains abandoned, vacant, boarded.
- Demolition contractor is Empire Building Diagnostics.
- 1898 - Our Lady of Lourdes Parish church built
- 1993 - Parish closes
Recent Events and Actions Taken
- 2009 - Ellicott Development purchases convent and school from Prayer & Praise Fellowships Inc. for $370,000.
- 2010 - Ellicott Development seeks to demolish rectory before pulling the application
- April 2010 - Ellicott Development bought the church at 1115 Main Street for $40,000 from 1115 Main Street Inc.
- 2012 - Ellicott Development cleared out and demolished an in-use city street, Saint Paul Mall
- May 2014 - Demolition proposed to Preservation Board on their 5/8/2014 meeting agenda.
- Ellicott Development seeks to "Redevelop the northeast corner of Main Street and St. Paul Mall. As part of the development they will demolish the former rectory and school building and one additional house (47 St. Paul Mall) on site to construct a large multi-story building."
- Demolition plan had little to do with the condition of the buildings. As explained to the preservation board, it is merely because they do no like they site layout of the buildings. The Preservation Board unanimously denied the request, which only bought these buildings one month of protection.
- June 2014 - Preparations for demolition: Fencing put up around buildings, excavator on site, asbestos abatement being done.
- July 2, 2014 - Demolition begins
Other Pertinent Facts
- George Apfel's parish history page
- Buffalo Rising, September 2010 - Maddening Demo on Main Street
- Buffalo Rising, May 2014 - Our Lady of Lourdes Project Requires Rectory and School Demo
- Buffalo Rising, July 2014 - Down They Go: Two Lourdes Buildings Being Demolished
Carl and William Paladino's company, Ellicott Development, or corporations it controls: (Ellicott Group LLC, Pearl Group LLC, Huron Group Inc, Tupper Group Inc, Deltup LLC, Del-Al LLC, 84 Group, 1238 Group, 1239 Group, 4858 Group, 5277 Group, 9274 Group, etc.), owns these buildings or parcels of preservation concern (not a complete list):
Saint Paul Mall, 61 Edna Place, Crosby Building, 514 South Park Avenue, 619 West Delavan Avenue, 621 West Delavan Avenue, 1050 Niagara Street, 1076 Genesee Street, 1173 East Lovejoy Street, 1175 East Lovejoy Street, 1179 East Lovejoy Street, 172 Franklin Street, 176 Franklin Street, 189 Saint James Place, 206 Ontario Street, Deck Bros. Building, 262 Ohio Street, Karle Saw Co., 809 Tonawanda Street, 85 East Market Street, 905 Elmwood Avenue, Bakerís Shoes Building, The Bellesara / Allentown Athletic, E&B Holmes Machinery Company, Edmiston's Academy of Business, Ellicott Square Building, Fairmont Creamery, Fire House Chemical No. 3, Fire House Engine No. 8, Gohnís Place / Delaware House, Graystone Hotel / Berkeley Apartments, Grimm Block, Harbor Inn, Hens & Kelly Department Store, Holy Angels Academy, Jansen Brothers Harness Shop, Kaleida Health Facility , L.L. Berger Dept. Store / The Belesario, Meldrum-Edwards Building / The Antonio, Neisner Bros., Our Lady of Lourdes Rectory and School, Pleu Building, Seneca Plumbing & Heating Supply, Vars Building, Weed Co. Wholesale Building, GLF Elevator, [Original] Y.M.C.A. / Y.W.C.A. Building,
You can also view this list at Ellicott's category page.
■ Elevator Capacity And Cost
■ 270 William Street
■ 1865 Genesee Street
■ 1865 Genesee Street
■ Adam's Door Company
■ Stephen W. Howell House and Store
■ Sinclair Gas Station
■ 1349 East Ferry Street
■ 1345 East Ferry Street
■ 1343 East Ferry Street
■ Silo City
■ Perot Malting Elevator
■ Superior Elevator
■ Meyer Malting Elevator
■ Lake & Rail Elevator
■ Kreiner Malting Mill and Elevator
■ Marine A Elevator
■ Eastern States Elevator
■ GLF Elevator
■ American Elevator
■ Spencer Kellogg Elevator
■ Connecting Terminal Elevator
■ Washburn-Crosby/General Mills Elevator
■ Standard Elevator
■ Buffalo's Grain Elevators
■ Electric Elevator
■ 149 Fargo Avenue
■ 908 East Delavan Avenue
■ Westminster Community House
■ 389 Cornwall Avenue
■ Elevator Capacity And Cost ■ 270 William Street ■ 1865 Genesee Street ■ 1865 Genesee Street ■ Adam's Door Company ■ Stephen W. Howell House and Store ■ Sinclair Gas Station ■ 1349 East Ferry Street ■ 1345 East Ferry Street ■ 1343 East Ferry Street ■ Silo City ■ Perot Malting Elevator ■ Superior Elevator ■ Meyer Malting Elevator ■ Lake & Rail Elevator ■ Kreiner Malting Mill and Elevator ■ Marine A Elevator ■ Eastern States Elevator ■ GLF Elevator ■ American Elevator ■ Spencer Kellogg Elevator ■ Connecting Terminal Elevator ■ Washburn-Crosby/General Mills Elevator ■ Standard Elevator ■ Buffalo's Grain Elevators ■ Electric Elevator ■ 149 Fargo Avenue ■ 908 East Delavan Avenue ■ Westminster Community House ■ 389 Cornwall Avenue
Added 2014-05-02 • Last changed 2016-10-26