Swan Ramp


Comments? Corrections? Send us a message about this building

January 29, 2020
Photo credit: Mike Puma ViewsOfBuffalo, Mark Paradowski, Buffalo Rising


40 Swan Street, Buffalo, NY 14203
Google Bird's Eye View
Fillmore Council District
SBL: 111.13-23-4
Erie County Property Info
County Tax Map (loads GIS page)
City of Buffalo Parcel Viewer

Adjacent to 38 Swan Street and 50 Swan Street
Across from: Hotel Buffalo and Old Post Office / ECC City Campus


3279 GROUP LLC per City of Buffalo Property Information
Search NYS Corporation Database for 3279 GROUP

Carl and William Paladino's company, Ellicott Development, or corporations it controls: (Ellicott Group LLC, Pearl Group LLC, Huron Group Inc, Tupper Group Inc, Deltup LLC, Del-Al LLC, 84 Group, 1238 Group, 1239 Group, 4858 Group, 5277 Group, 9274 Group, etc.), owns these buildings or parcels of preservation concern (not a complete list):

You can also view this list at Ellicott's category page.

Physical Description

The three-story commercial parking ramp

Current Condition

Demolished. Vacant lot.


  • 1924 - Construction Completed
  • Per Buffalo Motorist 16 (April 1923): “Big modern garages in business center of city solving parking space ills and providing needed facilities for busy business men—several of larger establishments now housing hundreds of cars—new buildings near completion.”
    • 'The article mentions that the Swan Garage was built at a cost of $250,000 for land and building, held 350 cars, and was complete with the latest heating system, equipment for washing and repairing cars, accessories for sale, telephones on every floor for communication within and outside the building, a ladies’ rest room, and a room to which shoppers could have their purchases sent directly from individual stores before collecting them for the trip home.' per Chris Hawley

Recent Events and Actions Taken

  • October 2019 - Ellicott Development submits request for demolition
  • November 7th, 2019 - Preservation Board will review application for demolition.
  • December 2019 - Preservation Board approves its demolition despite being in a historic district
  • January 2020 - Demolition of the structure

Other Pertinent Facts


Newest Pages

Added 2013-09-04 • Last changed 2020-02-03